It is a little overdue but I just wanted to give some thoughts on the class so far. First off, I have never liked English classes. To me, English is not a science. A science has a definite answer, you are either right or you are wrong. So if I were to get a bad grade on, lets say, a calculus test, I can only blame myself because I got the answer wrong. However, English is more an art because there are many interpretations of the same piece of literature. To be able to do well in an English class you need to be able to write what the professor wants to see and not what you actually perceive, which I believe is quite harmful. It is too easy to place a "right" way to perceive an article and a "wrong" way. The way to be a great English teacher is to have an extremely open mind and be open to see many different perspectives on the same article or journal.
At the moment, I fear that our professor does not have that broad scoped mind that we all would like to see. I have always had trouble writing pieces that the teacher is looking for, and this current teacher is extremely hard to please. It is causing me way more stress than is necessary. My mind is wired to understand concrete subjects such as math and physics, not English. I had high hopes for this semester but they are quickly falling after seeing how close minded my professor actually is. I hope things will change for the better, but I am not holding my breath.
No comments:
Post a Comment